Circle of Elephants Soapstone Sculpture, 3 to 3.5-inch - Dark Stone
Hand-carved from a single piece of Kisii soapstone by African artisans, the Circle of Elephants is a reminder that we are all creatures of this great earth - interconnected in ways beyond understanding.
Colors vary from a darker natural stone in brown and grey. Expect an assortment of colors with your order!
This also serves as a comfort gift to someone going through a difficult time, or suffering from a loss. When an elephant loses a member of their herd, the elephants' ritual is to gather round, extend their trunks and gently touch tucks in solidarity of their fallen friend. It is a reminder that those around you offer support to help you heal.
- Measures approximately 3-inches tall by 3 to 3.5-inches in diameter. Due to the hand-carved nature, each piece may vary slightly in size.
- Expect an assortment of colors with your order!
- Soapstone is a soft stone, making it easy to carve into many forms. Handle with care to avoid breakage.
- Each piece has gone through multiple stages of sanding and waxing, giving the soapstone a satiny finish.
- Socially responsible products that empower consumers to purchase according to their values and help alleviate global poverty.
- Fair Trade is an alternative business model that values safe workplaces, fair wages and community investment for factory employees.
Story Behind the Art:
Each sculpture is artfully hand-carved from a single piece of Kisii soapstone, found only in the hills of southwestern Kenya. Mining the soapstone from surface hills is a labor-intensive process, using little to no machinery. Laborers works with shovels, picks, axes and machetes to carve out large soapstone chucks, which are then carved into beautiful art.